In early July I decided to knock the dust off of the recipe boxes I had inherited from my late grandma, a woman who was so near and dear to my heart. I challenged myself to make all (well, most) of her recipes and remix them where I felt they may need it.
Up next, Marbled Cheese Cake Squares!
My husband was participating by rating all of my dishes, but decided against it, thought it would “ruin our marriage”… Ha!
I must say, I thoroughly enjoy making my grandma’s dessert recipes the most and I especially love seeing her hand writing on old tattered recipe cards, it brings about all the feelings. This one isn’t one I ever remember her making, but I wish she had more often, because it was REAL good and not too sweet, which I was a big fan of.
What could have been improved
- I honestly liked the sour cream being the main ingredient in the whipped topping, but I think greek yogurt would have been just as good, if not better.
- The marbling was not perfect, it turned into chocolate cheesecake rather than marbled chocolate cheese cake, but this didn’t ruin the taste by any means.
Changes I made
- My grandma’s recipe called for brown sugar, I used coconut sugar instead.
- Instead of wheat germ, I used flax meal… I mean, who even uses wheat germ anymore?
- My grandma’s recipe called for 16 oz of cream cheese, but I used 8 oz instead and I was happy with how it turned out.
- I used enjoy life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and added some on top, I definitely recommend this.